Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wienorama Wednesday

In an effort to immerse myself in the the the local fare (and because I was driving around randomly and happened to pass the joint) I made a stop at the nearby Wienorama earlier this week.

Rhode Island reportedly has it's own sort of hot dog thing going on, kinda like Chicago.  But not quite so unique, as the local deal seems to be a riff on the saucy dogs from Coney Island, I guess...

Anyway, I was rolling, there was the giant Wienorama sign, I was hungry, culinary adventure ensued.

The whole Wienorama visage is kind of standard 60's diner.  A long counter, booths, guys on a giant grill, loud waitresses, portly patrons, you get the picture.
I found a spot at the counter and asked for recommendations from my server.

Oddly, her pick was the burger special and not the dogs, but I went along...

Decent diner burger, potato salad side was good.  I'll be back, once I feel my body has recovered from the first visit.  Sorry, really it was pretty good diner fare.  I will be back.
I ran out of room for a dog, so I need to try 'em, right?

What I noticed at the Wienorama was than folks used chili dogs like sides, which was interesting.  The guy next to me had the same burger combo as me, then after finishing ordered up an additional dog.  Another old timer at the counter ordered an egg sandwich with two dogs on the side.
Maybe that is how it works here?  Have a big greasy main course with some chili dogs just to guarantee you get enough greasy goodness for the day?

I also noticed a lot of people ordering milk, which seemed odd.  I don't remember the last time I have seen somebody order a glass of milk with a meal, and there were more than two or three, while I was there.  Does a body good, I guess...
The dishwasher made himself a big cup of coffee milk, in front of me, which reminded me that coffee milk is a thing here.  Milk with coffee syrup stuff.  A regional thing, I suppose.

Anyway, I will be back to try the dogs and perhaps a coffee milk.

No comments: