Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Day the Dem's Lost, Cont'd

It has been pointed out that I may have lost some of you with the rather overt tone of my last post inre: The Day the Dem’s Lost. The heat of my aggravation may have turned a few readers on the message I was trying to convey, the import of the message my have been overwhelmed by the tone.

So, here is the core, I think the Clinton campaign has taken a turn towards fear mongering that will change the nature of political conversation that will hand the election to the GOP.

The irony is that I don’t think McCain would have played the race card. I would like to think that McCain would have worked on a dialogue of issues, rather than playing to insecurities.

In a move towards the greed of the short game for power, Clinton has gotten the cracker contingent worried about race. It is an issue that I am sure would have been hammered by the pundit crowd, but I don’t think old John would have opened that door. Perhaps he was counting on Clinton to go there, regardless.[…]

Ferraro has opened the can. O’Reilly can serve it up and the Reagan era GOP hacks can work it to death. The simple minds can feast.

Give Hillary the nod and all of the partisan politicking of short history is ready to put all of that dirty shit back into play. The poop pendulum will be given a proud push and we will be right back to the gridlock we just got out of, because the ammo is just lying there ready to be reloaded into our collective conscious.

It is not that I quite think that the Obama hope message can work, but I do think a McCain Obama debate will assist in making some turn from the current state. I think the two of them are far enough from their respective party cores, have demonstrated that they possess a will separate enough from their party plank, that change would be possible.

The race card play is not far from Nixon/Daley era politics and will likely destroy that option, though.

I am not thinking short terms on this. I am not speaking to some largely irrelevant power grab. I am talking the long game here. I am very aware of the back room ruminations that will determine our next Congress. I am speaking to the dealing that gives douchbags like Thomas a seat of the Supreme Court. I am talking about my future.

We’re talking a congressional turn towards the ugly, if things continue in a stalemate. It means there could be some Supreme Court nominations I am less than happy with, that will have tenure for decades to come. We are talking about two political parties slathering us with the same shitty deals we have been stomaching for another four to sixteen years.

Those Reagan era Republicans have turned us into a service sector nation, with economic greed feeding, set asides and corporate bail-outs. A bankrupt nation so frazzled that now the world economy is in recession or regeneration, depending on the hour one tunes into a chosen 24-hour news service. All based on health care, social security and immigration policy which are little more than the factors which will most indulge the 401K’s of a generation of baby boomers, with faltering judgement and lost ideals. Add a destroyed international reputation and an increased presence of people we have, as a nation, alienated – things look a bit bleak.

I am not sure I have the legs to deal with the marathon we’ll get to run if there is not a shift from our current situation.

A dialogue of such subjects between McCain and Clinton will be lost in the din of an established rap of party hack lies, in my eyes. The process of choosing a leader for our collective future will be lost in the noise, because the dual party mud slinging will be a cheaper and easier road to power.

That is what pisses me off.

I am afraid that the process of actual debate will be lost in this preliminary discourse with the degradation to simple racist fear mongering. Playing to the ingrained and unspoken racism, which as a nation we are all too ashamed to talk about.
Ferraro, and by association Clinton, have diminished our chances for MaCain or Obama talking about opportunity.
Ferraro has allowed the aging white super-delegates to consider that the brown guy serving them chicken dinner, at some sponsored party in Denver, is as deserving of the hope of the American dream as their own grandchildren.
That kind of subliminal message secures votes.

At a time when, as Barack points out, we are in need of some hope. Hope that the dung ball we have rolled ourselves into doesn’t start a shit avalanche of such epic swath that it destroys what good is left in America.

So where does this leave me?
It leaves me thinking that Obama has taken a cheap and shallow shot, which may put him out of the race given the number of aging white liberals who will decide his lot.
It leaves me thinking that McCain has always been a candidate deserving a look, some respect and a vote, if it comes down to it.
It leaves me thinking that Clinton has too much invested in a system that no longer works in my best interest.

No comments: