Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turkey Day


Past years on Thanksgiving I am have turkey jokes and such...

You know, we eat turkey on Thanksgiving, there is a country named Turkey. That whole sort of thing. I am a simpleton you know, that sort of humor amuses me.


Anyway, this year I was pondering what sort of turkey day tripe I might post up and actually got to thinking about this...

Turkish themed turkey day meal.


Why have I not thought of this before?
Well, I didn't actually know crap about what kinda food goes with Turkey. I have never been there, I can't think of ever seeing a Turkish restaurant, I haven't come across many recipes from there...

So, I have been poking around Turkish cooking sites, reading recipes, doing my research.
Turns out I did sorta know a little about Turkish food, as it is sorta like mainland Greek food. You know, kebabs, pilafs, stuffed grape leaves and such. I pick up some Mongol influences in a lot of recipes and some Persian undertones as well.


I got a late start on this, this year, so no kebabs today.
I do like this idea, though I am not sure I can get a lot of takers on what is probably the most traditional meal menu day of the year...


We are doing some of our usual things here. A stuffed theme maybe, portabellas stuffed with crab, I am doing that butternut squash thing I mentioned a few weeks back, got a tiny hen that I will stuff with something. Nothing over the top, but I am sure we'll all be stuffed before the day is out.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Let me know if you wanna try doing a Turkey day thing sometime.

No comments: