Saturday, October 4, 2008

Debate Value - Debatable

I haven't had any posts on the subjects of debates.

I missed the first presidential debate due to some other, more important obligations. I only watched a moment of the post-debate head flappery, as it seemed to be as scripted as debates tend to be.


I did catch the last hour of Palin and Biden "debating". I employ the quotation marks because it seemed that only one person involved was actually speaking to the questions asked, while the other would repeat the question - say something colloquial-read what was on the note card - mention the word maverick and smile broadly.

This would typically be a post in which I rant and froth with contempt.
Maybe I have paused, because I have been given pause.
The whole deal left me feeling squeamish and depressed.


Recent travels put me right in the heartland, the middle south, the fly-over states. I am pretty conscious of my insulation in the land of fruit and nuts. Political momentum here is sharply contrasted there.

And contrasted for reasons that are, well, whatever.
I don't exactly care what the reasons are, as I am fairly fucking convinced that the reasoning is self-serving and wrong.
But I am diverting myself here...


As much I loathed content and pitch of Sarah Palin's non-answers, I understand that nearly half of this nation's population is ready to support her.
There are a whopping number of Americans ready to place that vapid, cocker spaniel of a human being second in command.
The proverbial heartbeat away...


And that depresses the shit out of me.


But more debates are coming.
The varsity players take the court on Tuesday.

I predict we will gain less insight to the candidates than we would if they were forced into a episode of The Family Feud.
Which is not a bad idea, now that I think about it.

No comments: