Friday, February 2, 2007

trade show

Trade shows suck.
I would like to put it differently, but I don't have the chat left. All of my vapid conversation gas is used up from two days of annoying conversation.

Some points of observation:
Most people would rather not talk without reason.
Those people that are happy to converse without cause will happily go on for much longer than I thought possible.
Trade shows suck.

There is not a single person at a trade show that does not expect something from the other folks at a trade show. Most people at trade shows don't say, directly, what it is that they want. It is inappropriate trade show behavior to be direct.
There is some requisite of; glad handing, lunch buying, weather talking, up catching, card passing, bull shitting.
There are plywood tables with skirts to hide; tired shipping boxes, road cases, garbage, knotted wires and cables.
There are the marks collecting; catalogs, cut sheets, cards, pens, bags, candy, cheap promo crap, and very rarely information on something they might actually purchase.

I am left thinking that the real reason trade shows exist, at this point, is to give sales people something to do.
It is a place for the old guard to gather and compare notes on; how/why the numbers are down, who went to what new company, who was hospitalized/divorced/put to pasture, where to have some per diem dinner, the details of the last/next trade show.


So, that was the past few days for me. Good times. There was some entertainment to dull some of my edge.
I will round out my week with some school work and phone interviews.



I really want to hammer/grind/cut/burn/weld something...

No comments: