Monday, October 11, 2010

OctoberArt


I forget to mention some shit to go see, that I saw, somehow...

There has been some stuff going on in my head and other places as well, so my getting out to look at art deal was rather brief this month...and only to some joints I had been to before.


The work at the Bambi Gallery caught my attention from the press release, which mentioned some gadget sounding things and geek stuff.
The standout for me was the work by Wil Lindsay, for it's interesting way of forcing audience to interact or miss out on the experience.

Wil was pretty direct in saying he is no photographer. He is interested photographic processes, however.
He had developed some technique that had him printing images on what look to be antique mirrors...but when you blow on the mirror and image becomes apparent.

I liked it.

The rest of the work was fun, as well, including some stuff using lenticular plates...
I am kind of a geek, so I like that sort of play with non-traditional media/medium.


Over at our standard stop, the Vincent Michael Gallery, there is also a pretty pleasing show.

There is some near photo-realistic painting by a couple artists, gloss with an undertone of ugly. Definitely worth putting an eyeball on, if you have the time.

What really stole the show, for me, was the work of taxidermist Beth Beverly.
Yeah, you read that right...taxidermy.

I am not sure I have words for what it is like to stand in front of a squirrel-fish-mermaid looking thing.

It is not simply shocking, Beth's work is more thoughtful than that. Her interest in preserving the beauty of the animals is met with an application of fun, excitement even, captured in a frozen pose.

For a gallery just getting on it feet, VMG seems to be presenting some really solid work...month after month.


I think Art Star has an opening this coming weekend.
I'll clue you in, if I think it is worth a walk.

1 comment:

beth beverly said...

Wow, thanks. Sexy blog.