Monday, January 25, 2010

Barbara Kruger



Time for another art post.

I saw that there is a retrospective of early work from Barbara Kruger up in London.


Kruger may be my super-favorite visual artist.








I could talk about that myself, but I will allow the exhibit promo to reduce my keystrokes.

Using contrasting layers of text and image, Kruger’s work has for almost three decades probed the nature of a media-saturated society in late capitalism, and the significance of highly evolved cultures of consumerism and mass politics to the experience and making of social identities. In addition to offering acute, indeed often piquant cultural insights, Kruger’s work also presents a serious conceptual exploration into the relationship between language and image, and their dynamics as collaborators and antagonists in the bearing of meaning. The artist’s unique blend of conceptual sophistication and wry social commentary has made Kruger one of the most respected and admired artists of her generation...

How could I not like it?


You can see much more here.

No comments: