Sunday, August 9, 2009

Baseball





Finally getting to a game.
Somehow, I always think that I will make it to more games.
Today, I am going to catch my first of the season.


Man, I love baseball.

Last year we got a bigger TV, and I can sorta watch baseball at home.
It is just not the same, though.
You gotta go to the park to really enjoy baseball.

Ever since the first time I went to see the Indians play Detroit, back when they were at the old stadium (shared with the Browns), I have loved going to see some ball.

The Clippers, in Columbus.
Whatever that farm team is called in Portland, oh, The Beavers - who play in a stadium shared with the local high schools.
Caught a few Twins games, while there on work.
The Braves are fun to see at home.
KVC and I fell in love with the Mariners and their park - I think Ichiro may have had something to do with that.

Now we're here in SF.
Yeah, the A's are here too.
I haven't been to an A's game, sorry to say...

Once you go to see the Giants, in AT&T Park, it is hard to think of better venue.

Sorry A's, we'll visit someday.

Today it's an afternoon game, SF vs. Cincinnati.
Lincecum has got his arm going this year, but we'll miss him today.
It seems like the rest of the line up is getting it together, a little.

Up against the Reds who are having a bit of a tough year...
I cannot think of the Reds without thinking of Pete Rose and Johnny Bench, though.
They were the team to pull for, when I was a boy, so I might have a soft spot for 'em still.


I don't really care who wins today.
I just want to experience the game.

That is the best part.

The nine dollar beers, eating a big ol' hotdog and getting mustard on my shirt, maybe some garlic fries.
Oh, peanuts...gotta eat a bag of peanuts.

Then there is the stadium with its smells swirling around you. The spilt beer, cut grass, faint pish and dirt scents carried on salty sea air.

The crowd, standing up for the big play, yelling off the bad call, cheering!
Sun in the eyes, seering the nose.

The sound of the bat slapping a poorly considered pitch foul.


We'll be there.
A few rows up from third.
KVC is bringing her glove, to shag that foul.



Ah, summertime and baseball.

For me, summer officially starts today...

No comments: