Sunday, December 7, 2008

Holiday Cheer


It has started.
All of the mirth, cheer and good will towards men is wearing on me a bit.

It is the music, really, that gets to me.
The holiday music I have droning on all around me seems particularly up-beat this year.
As if normal, traditional X-mas songs were not happy enough.
This years round of background caroles seem to have just an extra touch of goodiness, the beat is just a bit faster, the singers a touch more enthusiastic.


Maybe this years holiday auditory assault is just a bit too jazzy.

I get that it is supposed to make us all feel a smidge more festive.
Remember, I used to work for the folks package and pipe this sonic swill.
I know the concepts behind the scenes, too.
We are supposed to walk through stores a bit more quickly, look at a few more sales items, buy a couple extra junk gifts, stuff an extra order of appetizers down our gullets.
All with a greater sense of urgency and fun.
So, perhaps, it sickens me for reasons beyond just the obvious ones.


Oh, I am am one hunk of happy holiday fun - don't misunderstand me on this.
I am throwing garlands and tinsel all over the place.
I will be hanging stockings with the utmost of care.
I nearly bought some chestnuts the other day.
Yeah, chestnuts.
I was going to roast them.
That is some goddamned holiday spirit, there.


I would only prefer to not have this cloud of X-mas music hanging over me.

No comments: