Saturday, August 9, 2008

Silver Rocket



Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

I just found the re-release of this in the bins.
It has been missing from the collection, if you don't count the two stretched out cassettes that are here somewhere. Worn out from too many listens.

I found it right around my birthday. Then I realized it was released in 1988. Twenty years ago. I guess it has been twenty years.

I remember first reading about Sonic Youth in Thrasher magazine, back when Thrasher was all pulp paper and art by Pusshead and Rob't Williams. There was a review of the Sister album, and it sounded cool, so I bought it.

I was a dorky skater kid in Ohio.

Looking back, that might have been where things turned. I realized that there was all of this cool stuff going on just over the horizon, because of the cultural telescopes like Thrasher and Sonic Youth.

Those cassettes and magazines were lifelines I suppose. I could pull a glimpse of another world, another conciousness into my head. I could push a little closer to some unknown, unreal universe.

I was still a dorky skater kid in Ohio.
There was no metaphysical transformation.
I kept growing up.
And now it is two decades later.
Youth and nostalgia are merging into one.

No comments: