Monday, August 25, 2008

The Race to Not Lose



I am a full-on political junkie. I read laws, I study electoral college maps, search out polls from obtuse factions of our political landscape. I am, usually, very vigorous in my election year observations, an active watch dog.




This part of the election cycle is my absolute least favorite. Frankly, I am depressed already. Not about anything happening in Denver or anything that might happen at the GOP sausagefest.

The whole deal is already done - we have gotten well into the great integrity sell-off portion of the campaign. McCain and Obama are happily glad handing contributors, softening positions, flipping on issues, finger pointing at each other and generally engaging in the very thing that they both so loudly claimed they would not sink to.

Both party machines are up and running. Cranking out the same shite we get fed every four years. Both campaigns have turned away from the very things that made them compelling.

Perhaps there will be some inspiring orration in the next two weeks. Hopefully, real dialog and debate will make it's way back into this election's circus tent.

Six months ago, I might have voted for either McCain or Obama. Eight months ago, they were the outsiders, the underdogs, the most interesting thing either party could possibly run.

Now it is a race to not lose the election.

No comments: