Friday, January 19, 2007

Two days in LA

The quick down and back trip, to the great LA metroplex, has been completed. There is a whole lot of road down there, I had sorta forgotten.

I had stops somewhere past Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Somethinnorother, Anahiem, the LBC, Downey and Burbank. So, I had plenty of time to remember just how much pavement there was - and to look at it, interact with it. Pavement.



One of the things that I always enjoy in LA is the traffic talk. It is the great uniting dialog of that area. People share that commonality of transport. They talk about road conditions, drive times, routes from here to there, things to avoid, rush hour - seemingly without end. As people come together, they compare their trip and then fill any pause in conversation with details of their planned escape route.



I did get to take a quick detour past the previously mentioned broiler site. Sort of like visiting a celebrity's grave I suppose, I am not sure what my reasoning was for that little jaunt.

I had to have dinner with some of the guys I work with. I left myself out of the restaurant selection process, just to not be annoyed. The guys decided the goofy shabu shabu joint would be a great new experience. I was able to find some non-shabu shabu options for myself on the menu, which seemed to confuse and disappoint my companions, but left me happy.

If you are not dialed into this particular dining style/experience the story is that you get a plate of raw stuff and a boiling pot. It's all up to you, at that point, to get raw shit into the pot, seasoned and into your pie-hole. I have always found it to end up tasting like bland boiled food, but that's just me.

My one associate left looking well steamed, slightly hungry and upset that he had to make his own food. I was left thinking the whole concept is damned clever. Not many restaurants have a gimmick that makes you cook your own food. If you have a crap meal, it's your own fault. Nice.

I stopped into DiPiazza, later that night on my own. I had a slice, a brew and soaked up some Long Beach culture. Kind of a shabu shabu antidote...

No comments: