Saturday, January 6, 2007

Ohio



Right, that trip to Ohio I had mentioned. The trip home.
Originally, it was a Christmas trip. That schedule was buggered up by snow in Denver. My grandmother was quoted as asking "What the hell does snow in Denver have to do with Scott not being here?"
So, we were delayed. The X-mas trip became a New Years trip.

Let me be clear, here, I was sure this trip was a bad idea. Experience has taught me that combined family holidays are a pain the ass. The back and forth schedule usually allows for aching degree of frustration and disappointment for everyone involved.

I could bitch about that, but I'll skip it. There are so many layers of Columbus fun, beyond just "normal" family stuff. I will just hold my tongue.

Returning to Columbus for the turning of the year, it seemed to me, more depressing. All that damned retrospective thinking. Confrontations with bits of history, captured in their own degrading sameness or replaced by strip mall plastic. Add a buzz to that and you are well fucked.

KVC and I did get to hang out with some old friends. We had some quality family time. We saw some music. We looked at art. Some inspiring stuff happened, I think.

My highlights, in no order:
The hot dog lunch, with my maternal lineage.
Witnessing more Trish performances.
Melissa, talking art and laughing.
Checking out the Mary/Jeff rock-n-puzzle action.
That band, whose name even the members can't remember.
Everything about Aunt Betty.

No comments: