Monday, October 17, 2011

Ramen


I have been on an instant noodle kick as we head into fall.

Odd, I know.

I figured out how to sort of cook before entering college, so I never had that whole ramen noodles for months experience.
There have been a few times in life that three dollars for a weeks worth of food was the budget, and I will admit to a few ramen alfredo moments during that period...

(Note, ramen alfredo is the noodles, of course, cooked and drained...you can score butter packets and creamer from McD's in the AM and the fake parmasean from a pizza place. Mix that all together and it's just like being in Italy...a really sad, depressing, broke-ass version of Italy.)

But most of that shitty cheap ramen is just that, shitty and cheap.
That is not what I am talking about, at all...


I have been keeping my eyes peeled in the Asian section of the grocery of just heading to the Asian grocer for some random instant noodle lunch options.
Looking for that labels with minimal English and mentions of spice.
I have got my random cache of spices and seaweed to doctor things up and toss in an egg every now and again...


It is a pretty decent alternative to the same old again option, for lunch.

I can get a little rut going pretty quick, with sandwiches and what not...

There always seems to be be one crucial ingredient missing, whenever I go for a sandwich option here anyway. Really, you have got to keep a lot of shit on hand to make a decent sandwich. You know? Bread or various breads, whatever you want in it - so meats and cheeses, two or three types of vegetables probably, various condiments and garnishes. All that crap is perishable, too, so you need to keep track of not just how much is around but also when it will need to be consumed or tossed by. Plus, you probably want some chips or other fancy snack to fill out the plate, right?
You gotta unload the refrigerator to make one. Then all that slicing, toasting, stacking, repacking, cleaning and putting shit away.
It's supposed to be the quick and easy option, right?

Sandwiches are a lot of goddamned work...


So yeah, I am not sure why you needed to know any of that.

No comments: