Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fishy






Hey, am I the only one who thinks salmon tastes different?

Like it has somehow different than salmon from a few years ago?










Granted, a few years ago I was living in the Pacific Northwest and was able to score some pretty fresh fish.
I don't think that is it, though...

I am right here on a different coast, in a major city. I don't quite accept that the time from swimming salmon to chewing salmon is all that different. Maybe a day or two...
And yes, I am talking about the same types of salmon. I do know the differences between Atlantic, Pacific, line caught, wild and farmed.

I would like to think it is the fish I am best versed in...
But it seems different, tastes different to me.


I always buy wild over farmed, and always base the east/west decision on freshness.
Cooking may vary spice some, but my standard simple salmon is awfully basic
Something about the fat tastes different to me, in nearly every bit of salmon I have had in the past three years...


Anyway, in related news, they are looking at green-lighting genetically modified salmon.
The Food and Drug Administration has completed its highly-anticipated evaluation of the environmental impact of the world’s first genetically-engineered (GE) fish for human consumption, and written a document supportive of its commercialization on the U.S. market, according to a person close to the review process.

You can read more about that over here...

I am not sure I quite like that idea.

No comments: