Sunday, February 1, 2009

Process



Here are some process pics, to demonstrate that I just make shit up as I go.
I had decided that the other nose I had going wasn't right, right?





So I came up with this AA grill shell. You saw that previously.
I sectioned, chopped and filled that to fit my shit.
And I made that tape frame horn cover thing, to think about things.


Then I cut and rolled a bead into some 20 guage, so things wouldn't look like crap metal bent over the horns. I have low standards but things have to look right.
Like real car parts.








And that was all well and good.
I bent the shit out of the front of the 20 guage to fit the frame horns
My intention was always to have some louvers in this thing.
I know a guy with a louver press, but he is not close by, so I decided to teach myself how to hand cut some lovers.







I made some holes to locate the edge of each louver and cut between the holes with a cutting wheel.
There is a bit of 2x4 that acts as a door lock for the garage door, so I used that to make a lame hammer form for the louvers.
That is not some neato process, I did it with an X-acto and the same cutting wheel I used earlier.








A good bit of hammering and thinking and drinking later, I shot some primer on things.

The primer came more as a means to not over work things, this is a rough, garage built jalopy after all.







Another trip to the side yard spray booth and we have a frame horn cover.



So there you have it.
There is not some ultra cool process to building a real hot-rod.
There are just hours in the garage, sorting shit out.
I suppose I could have just ordered some catalog junk, but where is the fun in that?



The heat is in the tools, son, so get to work.

No comments: