Sunday, March 4, 2007

Open City


I really wanted to post on this, but it fell out of my head. Out there, in fancy-pants New York City, it has been declared "Open City"

That is like open season, in hunting terms, for various graffiti, environmental and oddball artist types to have at it.
NYC is the canvas.


There is a conference, in support of the whole thing. I would guess that there are some sort of shows to go along with things. You can read more about the deal here:
www.eyebeam.org/engage/engage.php?page=exhibitions&id=116

I had seen pics of that giant projector thing in action, over some where else. I really dig that device. Graffiti Research Lab, probably.
I had mentioned creative genius before, that projector is genius.


Think about how much time you spend in "public" spaces that are actually private property.
Think about how much of the visual landscape in your daily life is owned by some corporation.
These folks are working hard to provide some medium of commentary and interaction, in a city and a world where that is increasingly made illegal.

No comments: