Thursday, November 8, 2012

Upgrades



Here's a dull personal post for ya...

I have converted to Windows 8.

Not really sure why, exactly.  Not sure why you would even care.

I guess I like confusing myself with my own technology.
I am want to mess with settings on my phone, computer, etc...
It keeps you on your toes, dealing with new ways of doing the same things.

Since my most recent laptop fell under the cheapo Windows upgrade offer parameters, I figured why not.

After a day of messing with it, I will say OK...
It is different, for sure.  I haven't really adjusted to the whole tile deal, but I get it.
After a few minutes, I think the tile layout is smoother than the old start menu scene.
You can get back to a pretty comfortable old Windows 7 desktop fairly easily, so it isn't just wandering through shit you can't relate to, for being different...
The app bit is intuitive, if you can manage basics on a smartphone.  I imagine the app availability aspect will grow with more user adoption.

Using Windows 8 on a laptop does sorta reveal how nice it will function as a tablet interface, too.  If you are into that neato swipe/tap action on your fancy phone, well, it is built the same way.  Lacking a touchscreen, the premise does still work (you just have to adjust some of your mousing habits).

It's interesting to deal with a PC in this new way.  Windows has used the same basic interface structure for about as long as I can remember.  It takes some courage for Microsoft to change up what nearly every user over age five is comfortable interacting with.  But whatever...

I am not sure if it will exactly make me more productive, or anyone.  Maybe I will figure that out once I get more acclimated.  There is a lot of customization/information that can be layered on the new start screen.  That could either speed one up or distract a person, based on how it gets applied.  It's an interesting change, for sure.

So, yeah, that was a post about an operating system.
Totally exciting.


No comments: