Saturday, May 2, 2009

Thrice All American




I made you listen to Marianne Faithfull covering Neko Case, a bit ago.
How about we listen to some Neko Case today.


A song about Tacoma, which doesn't rate many songs as a city.

But Tacoma is a better place, for having made Neko Case.


The shit she says about her hometown of Tacoma, it's a lot like my thoughts of my own hometown.

I get it.


The beauty that memories contain, the contrast with reality.
The desire that what we remember is unchanging.
Even if we don't bother to go back to check.

I know the dignity that those old hometowns contain.
Maybe not fire or glamour.
But there is undeniable depth and breadth there.
Heart and guts.

My story at least, comes from the dirt of my hometown.



Those ghosts are what made me.
What taught me what I know and what I could know.
And if they didn't teach me that, well, they inspired me to go figure it out for myself.

No comments: