Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Yank Squirrels Invade Limey-Land





It is old news that our Yank gray squirrels have been deployed to England. Who knows, they went over on a boat or something and made themselves at home.

But you know the Brit's. They feel like they are special, with their royalty, big Ferris wheel, high tea and what have you. Oh, and the Beckhams (which they can have back, we'll be fine without 'em).

It seems that our little North American gray squirrels are just having too much fun over in the Queen's countryside. The gray ones are kicking around traditional English red squirrels and causing quite a dust up.


Note, I find some humor in the Brit squirrels having red fur - red coats.


With particular Anglo-flair, the British government has been promoting squirrel hunting - along with the reintroduction of squirrel to the islands dinner table.


I picture lots of tweed and foggy morning jaunts into wood, perhaps with some scampering hunting dogs, for all of this defense of the isle from the surly scourge of those damned Yank squirrels.


Today's NYTimes has a whole article about the squirrel situation in it's food section.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/dining/07squirrel.html

It is, of course, disturbing.
Little scampering squirrels.


Excerpt from the article-

“Part of the interest is curiosity and novelty,” said Barry Shaw of Shaw Meats, who sells squirrel meat at the Wirral Farmers Market near Liverpool. “It’s a great conversation starter for dinner parties.”


Yeah, lets start with "I am not eating any squirrel!"

I am a pretty open omnivore, but I am not going rodent.
I've had the bunny and that is close enough, and I am not into it.
Tiny birds, big birds, daffy birds, sure, tastey.
Bring me some of those Thai spiced crickets and I'll try 'em. Why not.
Bivalves, tentacles and urchin, yup, love that stuff too.


No squirrel for me though.
No rats, chipmunks, gophers, ferrets or ground hogs either.
That is not my bag, baby.

There is way more detail than you need in the article, beyond culling details and flavor. Go read it, unless you are about to head off for some food..

No comments: