Monday, December 8, 2014

Worn Wear





It is relatively rare that I will post up a straight up commercial on here.  I can think of a few, that were just funny skits with a product placement but whatever...

Here, though, is a rather interesting bit of story-telling and branding by a company I love, so I don't have many qualms about sharing it and suggesting you give it a look.
If your not familiar with Patagonia, well, get familiar.


Part of what rings my bell in this video is the connection with quality and longevity.
How just keeping something, using it and wearing it out instead of going out and buying a newer thing creates a narrative and weaves in memories - with the added benefit of reducing our impact on the world's available resources.

There are things in my closet that date back to when I was in high school, when I first made it to the west coast and so on.  (That's ten to twenty some years, if you are counting.) Still in regular use...
It's been time to replace some things, lately, and I try to look for the item that I am sure will last five years, ten years or longer.  That quality kit makes me wince when I look at the price tag, but you only cry once with it.  And in our trend driven, disposable culture that sort of durable quality can be a real bitch to find, even.


Anyway, enough ad placements and soapboxing...

No comments: