Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Noise


I mentioned before that I have been getting quiet, since our move here.

Let's talk about that for a minute, as I have always been perceived as the quiet guy, until you get to know me...and I get around to trusting/respecting you.
Then I am all Chatty Cathy and shit.

So, yeah, I am not really talking less when I talk about being quiet.
I am trying to be quiet in my head...

I still crank the volume on a rockin' song and make the motorcycle howl when I get a chance.  I am not talking about quiet quite like that.




Part of it is that I have been trying to reduce the noise I face every day...
Electronic nonsense, social media and some of the other random crap that we get sprayed with day to day.

One thing I have done that has surprised me with some serious quiet is unsubscribing from every bullshit marketing e-mail list I have gotten on, for one reason or another.
I hadn't really thought about how much of that dumb mail hits my inbox.  I am pretty good about avoiding those lists, but you know, book a hotel room on-line or order something...more random e-mail about how you can save 10% by giving somebody $100+ for something you don't need.

So I made a conscious effort to click unsubscribe on every one of those stupid messages as soon as it hit my inbox, for the past month.
And it has worked...
That new mail symbol, on the top of my phone, usually means I have a message from somebody I have an actual interest in, or conversation I am engaged in, or shit that really has something to do with my life.

Maybe that doesn't sound like much, but try it and you will get my point.

No comments: