Sunday, March 7, 2010

Treasures

No, this is not about pirate treasures...

The knife does not have anything to do with that.


This is one of the few things I have from my grandfather...
Derald.






I really don't know too much about this knife.

It is from the cabinet that held the old double barrel shot gun I am fond of polishing directly after ordering delivery pizza.
The pizza guys have not yet encountered me cleaning up this knife.
Not like the double barrel...


There are few things that carry history in my bag of tricks.

Ironic, with my interest in old things, no?


But I have this here knife...



My grandfather was much more of a pocket knife kind of guy.

Pocket knives are an old time thing.
Men carried them to do things.
Open mail, loosen screws, cut twine...
Do things.

This knife was anomaly, amongst the things left behind by Derald.
Likely, the reason I have it.


The hilt says KABAR, which could imply the involvement of my uncle.
He was a Marine, who may have more familiarity with the Corps chosen cutlery than any of us care to thing about.
Perhaps a gift to my grandfather from his son?


This knife is one of the things I treasure.
It bears the marks of my grandfather's hands...

I can see the grooves left in it's blade, from his sharpening.
There is dirt and grime on it's hilt that are his.

I just maintain it.
Brush off the dust and oil the blade.

A blade which will, to this day, slice a sheet of paper...

And reveal the touch of a man who did things.


A man who helped shape me like the edge of a blade...

No comments: