Friday, November 6, 2009

Old WW2 Footage





Harley Davidson is trying to revive some association with efforts during WW2 in their latest advertising.
Which only makes me sigh again, considering their recent offing of Buell.
Which doesn't have anything to do with this post.


The whole nostalgia thing has Harley posting up some wartime footage with their motorcycles from their archives.

This clip from North Africa, for example...


The only reason I even mention it is 'cause when I was a kid learning about building model airplanes, one kindly old guy taught me the ways of balsa wood and tissue paper.

He also happened to have been a photojournalist for Stars&Stripes during WW2.
His first stint, he told me while we glued fragile airplane bits together, was covering the North African efforts of the allies.
One of just a handful of guys tasked with that assignment.

So, he may have not shot this footage, but he probably knew the guy who did.
Probably shot some of the stuff you can link to from this clip...


Kinda neat, to me at least.

No comments: