Friday, July 25, 2008

The Depths of OCD



See that bracket? It exhibits the true depths of obsessive compulsive disorder.

That bracket has done it's job well for more than forty years. In my hours of staring at things, well, it didn't stand up.

A few hours ago it was just hanging there doing it's job. It held up the end of that starter motor for years, just like the factory intended.

I painted it and let it do it's thing, do it's job.

But it has been in line of sight for a few weeks now. It stood out, that bracket. It is one of the few things on this here car that hasn't really been touched by me. Sure I cleaned it up and painted it, but that was about it.

After hours of looking at it, being a fine stock bracket, I was finally overtook with the realization that it is one of the few bits not worked over by me. That bracket was just like it came from GM forty years ago.

That certainly isn't quite right. Right?

It seemed too average. Too much factory, not enough hand of Scott.

So, that bracket made it's way under the drill press. It got some holes. 'Cause hotrods have holes. They make things light, right? Lighter goes faster, right?


I, just recently, talked about things looking right. Well, sometimes factory might be right but it doesn't look right. Or not right enough, maybe.

So, OCD kicks in and things happen.


When you are asking yourself why things don't move faster, here in the garage, take this into consideration. The depths of OCD go way down into my thinking. If I hadn't looked at that bracket for a few days - if it didn't yell so loudly about it's situation - things would move more quickly...

No comments: