Saturday, July 19, 2008

Cardboard, cont'd



Remember that post about building a car with cardboard? There were little white bits of carboard taped to the T. I talked about how most things here get made based on cardboard and visual guesstimation. I mentioned that the pictured cardboard bits were lacking some stuff seen only in my head.

At some point in this process cardboard and steel sort of merge. Steel really isn't much harder to manipulate than carboard, it is just different. Combining that cardboard and the steel and the head is the work.

Well, this is what they look like when the cardboard and imagination gets turned into steel. Outside of the pondering time, these only took a couple of hours to whip up.

The pondering time is what gets me, though. I go this whole process of looking at things. Then I looks at the car without the things. Then with again. So I can sort of determine if I am adding or detracting from my overall idea. I look at what I am working on from different angles or perspectives, to make sure things don't just seem right from one vantage point, but become part of the whole.

These post things took some looking. The angle looked right from the side initially, but then kind of stood up as you moved towards the back of the car. Their angle relative to my perspective would change and looked all wrong. So, that took some tweaking. They still lean out away from the body, but I think that might help keep some wind off of the face - or that is my story on that.

So, yeah. I shot some paint on these last night. Now that it has dried, I will need to stare at these some more, as insurance that they are right.

No comments: