Monday, August 22, 2016

Sailboats



Did you know I have a thing for sailboats?

Well, I do, in spite of knowing fuck all about sailboats I think they're cool...


The Ocean State has a fair number of them.
They get made here, or maybe used to be made here, I don't know.

Anyway, I wandered over to a museum featuring a couple of sea loving brothers, who built boats.  The Herreshoff Museum.
They built some historic America's Cup boats as well.
Torpedo boats, too.
Really, a lot of boats.


Like I said, I don't really know much about boats, so reading about the innovative rigging of an aft jibakker, or whatever, sort of goes over my head.
Regardless, it's hard not to appreciate some lithe bit of wood, stuck together to race across waves with a gust of wind.

Oh, there is family narrative, history of motivation, genius and local economy on display as well, if you pay attention.
Cool museum...

No comments: