Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ramps


Maybe it is an east coast thing, but since I landed here I hear a lot about ramps...



Every spring, the food folks around Philly seem to go mad for ramps.

Now I grew up on this half of the continent, and I don't remember anybody but friends with skateboards talking about any damned ramps, come spring...


These foodie fuckers just won't shut about about their ramps, though.
Purees, broths, sauted, poached...


I feel like I might be missing out on some great thing...
But only sorta.
I don't have a ramp hook up here and I haven't seen 'em at any of my usual food purveyors.

They are just a sort of spring onion, leek tasting kinda thing, right?
So...

What is the big deal?


What is up with the ramps?






2 comments:

abpaulson said...

i think its an appalachian/hillbilly thing that hipster chefs have taken to. i hadnt heard of them until i visited webster co, wv, while at penn, who holds a ramp festival every year. then it seemed like i saw them everywhere. its definitely a fad. http://www.richwooders.com/ramp/ramps.htm

alexis said...

i think its an appalachian/hillbilly thing that has turned hipster-food thing. i first heard about them when i visited webster co, wv, while at penn. they even have a ramp festival there. it seems like ever since i have seen them everywhere. its definitely a fad. http://www.richwooders.com/ramp/ramps.htm