Tuesday, July 3, 2007

summer reading

I suppose it includes some spring reading, but here are some of the books recently consumed while I hang out on BART...




Skip is one of the dudes who started Jansport, KVC's employer. In his "hippie guide" he recounts stories of his own bounding into the business world like a labrador retreiver jumps into a lake.
It does have a very nice, conversational tone. Short summary: don't be an asshole to the folks you work with...



Yeah, some PK Dick. Ed, a guy I work with loaned it to me. I needed a book, for the ride home. So, um, Valis is the story of split personalities, religion, technology, drug use and maybe some alien higher meddling with everyone's heads. Short summary: if you look closely, you might find signs of God on television.
So, watch more TV to find God.



Sure, Valis might be dark but I thought a reread of Interzone would cap it off nicely. Mr Burroughs has his own way of stringing words together and it takes some patience. This was my third read of this, I think I get it now.
Short summary: don't shoot your wife, go gay, run to Tangiers, abuse heroin and write childrens stories.


I gnawwed through a couple of Vonnegut books to, but you should already doing the same - what with his passing and such.


Oh, I nearly forgot this one, Kite Runner. I really enjoyed this story of growing up in Kabul, fleeing the Taliban, escaping to the SF and dealing with fucked up family history. Afgan culture is almost entirely absent in my frame of reference, but this book clued me in, a bit.
Short summary: war sucks, persecution sucks and sometimes family sucks.




There is an Afgan food vendor at the market, today. I am off to restock the bollani supplies. The spinach version is damned tastey...

No comments: