Monday, October 29, 2012

Sandy


Yeah, so waiting for a hurricane is pretty boring.

Last night I did a lot of standing around, wondering if there was other stuff I should be doing.
There was some World Series action (yay Giants) to distract me for a bit.  Honestly, the weather in Detroit looked worse than here last night.

I walked around with the dog, per usual and noticed nearly every house had a light on.

My standing around lasted 'til about 3AM and most of lights were still on.  I imagine everybody else was doing the same weather checking and wondering that I was...
The wind picked up a bit around the time I piled in with the sleeping pets, with light mist.

This morning is kinda the same.  Wind and mist.

I did my doggy walking deal, as always.  Seems like folks are home, mostly, around the neighborhood.
Made a snack run, as I realized all my storm prep, yesterday, had left me chipless.  I figure I should have some snacks on hand, for waiting out the storm...
Not many people out, at all.

I will just tag some updates here, throughout the day, because like I said, this is all pretty boring right now...


12:19 - Well, noonish now, a bit windier with the same mist.  It's been this same drizzle since yesterday, so shit is pretty saturated I notice.  Still some hours before the really heavy stuff starts coming down, I hear.  Decided to do some laundry, in case the power goes out/for something to do.
Yesterday, a dude at the grocery mentioned that he was without power for a week after Irene.  So, yeah...




1:40 - Well, the wind has picked up a bit.  There was some rain earlier, but things are just smattering at this point.  I guess I will do a lap, to see if everything is where I left it before the big winds kick in.  Meh...

2:52 - Yeah, still here.  Gusts here up to about 25MPH, outta the NE.  I have entered into the bored snacking portion of waiting for the storm, hanging out watching the Weather Channel.  That dude they keep showing, on the shore in Narragansett, is about twenty miles from here.  That is down by where we hit the oyster farm and such.  Lights have flickered a couple times already.

3:45 - The wind has picked up quite a bit here, over the past hour.  Sustained at around 30MPH, with a few gusts up to 50.  There really isn't any rain at the moment, just that wind.  The wet stuff is supposed to show up around sunset.  Oh, here is the feed from the airport weather station, which is about a mile or so east of me, if you are wondering what's going on here.  All the pets seem to have holed up in their nap spots, which probably means something ominous, in some house pet whisperer kind of way...

4:55 - Same sorta wind action with maybe some more rain.  Ho, hum.  Some of the trees, out back, have some good lean going.  Some more flickers with the lights.  Rain is coming right at the windows on the back porch, so there really isn't even a good spot to sit and watch the storm.  The heavy stuff is still an hour, or so, out and the big rain is tomorrow?  Glad I am not in Philly for this one.

5:15 - I guess that the surge is up over the seawall, down south.  Not really a direct concern here, I just like that area for weekend wandering.  I also hear that the are about 50,000 homes without power, here in RI.  It's dropped out here a few times, for a minute or so.

6:42 - Just more wind to report, up into the 40's pretty consistent, at this point, with gusts approaching 60.  It's dark now, so you know, there is that wondering about what is happening out in the dark vibe.  I kinda wish I had walked over to the river, to see what it is up to, or if it was coming up.  I don't think there is anything to worry about it tonight, just bored and curious I guess.  Probably not a worry tomorrow, even, but I'll save that adventure for tomorrow.

7:55 - There has been a break in the mist here, for a while, so I made a lap outside to break up the monotony.  Looks like some neighbors have branches down.  The bigger trees around the block still have leaves, so they are the ones loosing limbs.  Those few weeks of the National Grid folks annoying me with early AM tree trimming, a month ago, don't seem quite as annoying now, since we still have power.  Clouds are just rushing overhead.  With the full moon behind the clouds, peaking through, makes for some horror movie looking skies.The wind noise is kinda intense, as well.  A big white wall of sound.  The gut of the storm is still coming...

9:53 - Just outside, doing dog stuff.  Odd report, I would almost say it's nice out.  The rain has stopped, for now.  There is just a breeze at ground level, though the clouds up at a hundred feet, or so, are still streaking overhead, now coming out of the south and east.  It's even kinda warm.  Weird.

10:45 - Huh?  So, I hear tomorrow will probably be rain with "breezy" winds?  I guess New York and Jersey took the brunt of this deal?  OK.  Well, I am all stocked up on canned beans, I guess.

No comments: