Thursday, July 2, 2009

Food Writing


I have mentioned the idea of writing about food here, for you, a couple of times.

It seems like a no-brainer, I likes my foods and I am able to put words in a semi-coherent order occasionally.

Yet still, there is a struggle in the whole concept for me.
It doesn't seem to come together.


And I have realized what it is - it's the pictures.


People want to (I presume) see what food looks like when they read about food.
Otherwise, I think, food writing gets a bit like a romance novel - you have to come up with a lot of goofyness to describe things.
I guess with the food writing I could swap fruits in a fashion opposite of romance novels.

The cherry torte bore it's burgundy passion through it's upper crust as if it were an engorged...

Yeah, I am not going to write like that.
It is kind of a funny concept though, when I think about it.

Melons as giant bazoobies, rather than vice versa.
That actually appeals to my inner twelve year old.



So one has to take pictures of the food.
And there is the rub...


See, when I am cooking there is all of that cooking going on and usually some drinking too.
There is a lot to manage, while cooking - and when I do cook, I tend to move fast and have three things going at once.
I never take pictures...
It simply doesn't occur to me.


Alternately, when dining out, I just can't bring myself to interrupt conversations and service with the total douchebag move of pulling out a camera to photograph dinner.
Sure, people do it these days.
They take pictures of their meals and write about it on all manner of bloggy things.
I haven't gotten quite that bloggy myself, yet...

So, I think about writing about this joint or that, but don't.
I figure there should be pictures.


I'll keep the food label here, but I am nut sure what I am going to do with it.
I will figure something out.

No comments: